Guidelines for the Treatment of Stage I-III Periodontitis
Instant-access eLearning module
The European Federation of Periodontology developed S3-level guidelines “Treatment of Stage I-III Periodontitis” (November 2019) and these were recently adopted by the British Society of Periodontology (November 2020) and which were published in Journal of Dentistry (January 2021). The aim of this session is to discuss the development of these guidelines and their implications to clinical practice.
At the end of this session participants will:
- be familiar with how the guidelines were developed.
- be familiar with the 4 steps of treating Stage I-III periodontitis.
- be aware of the main recommendations for therapies in managing stage I-III periodontitis
- be able to find further information on the recommendations.
- be able to use the S3 guidelines to make informed decisions on the most effective modalities for the treatment of periodontitis stages I-III.
GDC Development Outcomes C & D
Professor Gareth Griffiths graduated from Cardiff and after house jobs returned to Cardiff for his masters in Periodontology. He was Periodontology Registrar at the Eastman, before joining the Medical Research Unit at the London Hospital where he completed his PhD. He returned to the Eastman as Lecturer and was promoted to Senior Lecturer before becoming a University of Sheffield Professor.
Gareth was instrumental in transitioning the Eastman and Sheffield postgraduate courses in Periodontology from 1 year to 3 year programmes meeting GDC guidelines for Specialist Training. He is a past Secretary and President of the British Society of Periodontology and has published over 70 articles in peer reviewed Journals.