Oral Surgery in General Dental Practice: A Shared Care Approach
1 CPD Approved
This webinar will aim to explore the delivery of oral surgery in the primary care environment, including assessment, treatment planning and management, referral considerations and the importance of a shared care approach to facilitate timely care in the most appropriate environment.
18:00 - 19:00 GMT
Consultant Oral Surgeon, Vicki Greig, will aim to explore the delivery of oral surgery in the primary care environment, including assessment, treatment planning and management, referral considerations and the importance of a shared care approach to facilitate timely care in the most appropriate environment.
It will take into account published guidance including RCS England's 2020 publication "Parameters of care for patients undergoing mandibular third molar surgery", and discuss the implications for general dental practitioners.
Aims of the webinar:
- To explain where Minor Oral Surgery (MOS) fits into the ‘Shared Care’ model
- Signpost Guidance Documents available to support the delivery of oral surgery in primary care and the ‘toolkit’ required to provide care in your own surgery.
- Explore how relevant published guidelines impact upon the assessment and management of patients from an oral surgery perspective in general dental practice
Intended learning outcomes:
- To recognise when an extraction / MOS procedure is the most appropriate option in a primary care setting for a patient (taking into consideration past/present medical considerations, and their wider treatment plan)
- To explore how published clinical guidance relating to oral surgery and dentistry can be applied to the general dental environment
- To acknowledge investigations required to assess the difficulty of an extraction and how to arrange these if unavailable in your own practice
- To understand how the shared care model applies to the management of patients requiring oral surgery input from colleagues based in secondary care
- To introduce the appropriate use of Photographs, ‘Near Me’ and Referral Pathways to facilitate oral surgery care
GDC Outcomes: A & C
If you have missed any of our past dental webinars, you can access these here: https://community.rcpsg.ac.uk/course/index
There are no seats available on this event. If you apply now, you will be added to the waiting list and your payment will be taken when your attendance has been confirmed.