MFDS Part 1
Membership of the Faculty of Dental SurgeryPart 1 Part 2
Award of the Diploma of Membership of the Faculty of Dental Surgery indicates that a candidate has enhanced his or her knowledge, understanding, experience and clinical competence well beyond primary qualification level to the standard required to proceed into specialist training.
The syllabus for the MFDS examination is defined in the Dental Foundation Training Curriculum.
Membership of the College
Candidates who have passed Part 1 can progress to MFDS Part 2. On passing Part 2, you will be invited to proceed to admission to the College. You can view information on our membership categories and see the benefits offered by visiting our Join Us pages.
- You can apply for the examination by scrolling to the bottom of this page to select the exam and access the online application.
- The date selection function allows you to give an indication of date preference for the exam, however date allocation is done manually after the closing date, based on candidate numbers. The exam venue may change, within your selected location. Please do not book travel or accommodation until you receive confirmation from the exam administrator that you are booked on the exam, your confirmed exam date and confirmed venue.
- Forthcoming MFDS Part 1 examinations are expected to be held online.
- Places for the MFDS Part 2 centres are limited - applications will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.
- Candidates for MFDS Part 2 will be required to attend on one day only – details will be confirmed when the exam programme is circulated shortly after the closing date.
- The College may either cancel an examination centre if there are insufficient candidates or restrict numbers should this be necessary.
- Fees are correct at the time of publication: the College reserves the right to amend these fees in advance of the closing date.
- In the event that the College has to cancel an examination or restrict numbers, the examination fee shall be reimbursed, but the College shall incur no further liability.
Before applying for this examination, ensure you have read and understood the documentation and regulations below. Some of these documents may have changed since the last time you read them.
Documentation0.1 Important update on the MFDS Part 2 examinations in the UK - February 2021
A. MFDS Regulations and Syllabus
B. MFDS Candidate Guidance
C. MFDS Exempting Qualifications
D. Extension for out of time candidates as a result of COVID
E. Sample questions - Part 2
F. Dental Foundation Training Curriculum
G. MFDS Reading List
H. Appeals Procedure valid until 30 June 2021
I. Appeals Regulations valid from 1 July 2021
J. MFDS Joint Reasonable Adjustment Policy