FRCS (Ophth) Part 2
Surgical Fellowship Examination in OphthalmologyPart 1 Part 2
Award of the Diploma of Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow indicates that a candidate has a sound knowledge of the scientific basis of ophthalmology and is experienced and competent at applying that knowledge to patients suffering from common ophthalmic conditions.
The Fellowship should be perceived as a validation of an ophthalmologist's knowledge, experience and training. Candidates achieving this standard are judged to have the skills of a General Ophthalmologist and to be able to manage patients and their ophthalmic conditions independently in a safe and professional manner.
Fellowship is not intended to validate sub-specialist expertise and does not provide direct entry to higher specialist training in the UK.
Membership of the College
On completion of the final part of FRCS Ophthalmology, successful candidates will be invited to proceed to admission to the College. In joining us, you will be part of a growing membership committed to ensuring high standards of practice through assessment and continuing professional development.
You can view information on our membership categories, learn how you can contribute to College life and see the benefits offered by visiting our Join Us pages.
If you are looking for FRCS Ophthalmology Part 3, please click here
You can apply for the examination by scrolling to the bottom of this page to select the exam and access the online application.
- Examinations for Parts 1 and 2 are expected to be online in future.
- The price shown for Part 2 applies to those sitting the whole part. If you are exempt from the multiple choice paper and are only sitting Problem Solving, the price will be £465.
- Please note that where the abbreviation ‘tbc’ appears this means that the information is ‘To Be Confirmed’ and will be published as soon as it is available.
- Places will be allocated on a first come, first served basis. These dates and centres are subject to candidate numbers. Please read the notes that follow.
- The College may either cancel an examination centre if there are insufficient candidates or restrict numbers should this be necessary.
- Fees are correct at the time of publication: the College may amend these fees in advance of the opening date.
- In the unlikely event that the College has to cancel an examination or restrict numbers, the examination fee shall be reimbursed, but the College shall incur no further liability.
Before applying for this examination, ensure you have read and understood the documentation and regulations below. Some of these documents may have changed since the last time you read them.
DocumentationA. FRCS Ophth Exam Regulations
B. FRCS Ophth Candidate Guidance
Ci. FRCS Ophth Part 1 Sample Questions
Cii. FRCS Ophth Part 2 MCQ Sample Questions
Ciii. FRCS Ophth Part 2 Problem Solving Sample Questions
D. Reading List
E. FRCS Ophth Frequently Asked Questions
F. Additional attempts policy
G. Additional attempts application form
H. Appeals Procedure valid until 30 June 2021
I. Appeals Regulations valid from 1 July 2021